tools   contact us site map newsletter euro converter

:. For your stay
:. Events
:. Information
:. How reach Fiesole

home / useful info / for your stay / necessary documents
Necessary documents

An entry Visa is the document that authorizes you to enter into the Italian Territory or the Schengen Space. The Visa is issued, even for solely tourism purposes, to anyone who requires permission to enter.
The Visa is an adhesive attached to the visitor's passport or equivalent document.
Visas can be:
  • Of short duration for visits of less than 90 days (type C)
  • " Or, of long duration for visits of more than 90 days (type D)
As well, Visas can:
  • Authorize entrance into the entire Schengen Space (VSU)
  • Or, authorize entrance solely within the Italian Territory (VTL).
Who must have a Visa
Entrance into Italy, even solely for tourism purposes, is dependant upon Visa issue on behalf of the Italian Diplomatic Representatives for those residing in the following countries:

Nazione 1Nazione 2Nazione 3

Visas are issued by the Foreign Affairs Ministry through Diplomatic or Consular representatives located around the world.
To request an Entry Visa for Italy you must go to a foreign diplomatic representative and provide the following information:
  1. Your personal information and that of any dependant family members;
  2. a photocopy of your passport or any other equivalent document;
  3. your destination;
  4. the length of your stay;
  5. the reason for your visit;
  6. the means of transportation used for arrival;
  7. the means of economic support during visit;
  8. accommodation conditions;
The Diplomatic Authorities, after having evaluated and verified the information you supplied (this is done for security reasons among other things) will issue the Visa within 90 days of the request.

While a Visa is the document with which you are authorized to enter Italy, the Permit of Stay allows you to legally live in Italy for a determined period of time. You must, within 8 working days of your arrival in Italy, go to the nearest Police Headquarters (Questura) where you are residing and make the request for the Permit of Stay which will allow you to reside in Italy for the period which is declared on your Visa.
Whoever makes the request for a Permit of Stay, or for the renewal of the Permit, will be obliged to a take an identificatory photograph.

The length of Validity
The duration of the Permit of Stay conforms with the length indicated on the Visa released by the Italian Consular Representative abroad.
  • Travel, Business or Tourism
    The first Permit of Stay, issued for Travel, Business or Tourism reasons, can be no longer than 3 months.

  • Seasonal Labor
    can be no longer than 9 months.

  • " Employment for a determined period
    can be no longer than 12 months

  • " Employment for an indeterminate period
    can be no longer than 24 months.
Requesting a Permit of Stay
To make a request for your first Permit of Stay you must utilize the form provided at Police Headquarters.

Health Care Assistance
When you receive your Permit of Stay, you will have to present proof of enrollment with the National Health Care Service or the acquisition of health insurance that is valid in Italy. For more information go to section: Health Care


In General
The request for the renewal of the Permit of Stay must be made at least 30 days before the original expires. The new Permit of Stay, upon the first renewal, will have a duration double that of the period of the first Permit.

Employment for a determined period
At least 90 days before expiration date.

Employment for an indeterminate period of time.
At least 60 days before expiration.

Tourism and Short Stays
For those who have entered Italy without a Visa, for Tourism or with a short term Visa, the renewal of the Permit of Stay can only be done in emergency situations.

The receipt for the renewal of your Permit of Stay must be demonstrated at the ASL offices in order to continue to use the health services. For renewals, as well, you must fill out the form available at Police Headquarters.

Along with the form the visitor must attach:
  1. 4 passport size photographs
  2. photocopy of passport or equivalent document
  3. documentation attesting economic independence while visiting
  4. documentation that explains the reason of stay and the time required for stay.
Economic sustainability may be ascertained on the basis of a declaration by the visitor upon renewal of the Permit to Stay.
Within 20 days of the request the Questor will renew the Permit or eventually convert it into another type of Permit of Stay.
If you interrupted your stay in Italy for a continuous period of more than 6 months, and if you have a Permit to Stay that lasts 2 years or, if you were outside of the National Territory for a period that is more than half of the time permitted on your Permit of Stay, you can no longer obtain a Permit renewal unless you can demonstrate that your absence from Italy was for military obligation in your country of origin or documentation of an emergency situation that kept you from returning to Italy.